My Cognitive Issues and Schizophrenia

 

My Cognitive Issues and Schizophrenia

Schizophrenia Bulletin, sbaf225,

https://doi.org/10.1093/schbul/sbaf225

Published: 11 December 2025

 

I guess I did not fully understand what the word cognitive actually meant as it relates to my diagnosis of schizoaffective disorder. I just thought I was getting older, and I could be forgetful. However, a podcast by some of my advocate friends gave me a better understanding of what forgetfulness means in my life. A funny part of the podcast happened when one of the hosts forgot his train of thought.

A loss of cognition can be a part of schizophrenia, and for me sometimes it can be a combination of delusions and forgetfulness. Even though I know about most of the triggers that influence my delusions, being forgetful can be there too. Some evenings it feels like delusions of the people in my head are trying to trick me or make me forget things I need to remember. I honestly did not know what was going on, but I knew it was my schizophrenia related. I have worked hard to learn ways to jog my memory and compensate for the forgetfulness that comes from my mental health diagnosis.

During the initial stages of my schizophrenia diagnosis, I had forgotten how to drive. I had been driving for a number of years before my diagnosis but imagine what it felt like for me to no longer remember how to drive. Sometimes I still have trouble remembering how to get to places that are familiar to me…places that I have been to before and should be familiar with. When I began driving again, I had to have help with every step to getting places. I was unsure of lane changes or merging into traffic. After many months of practice, I finally got to the place where I could drive myself to appointments. To remind myself I usually do a practice run if I am going to a new place. By doing so, I relieve some of my anxiety that comes from forgetfulness.

Following directions, especially if there are several steps involved, is difficult for me to do. I like to cook for myself, so I usually plan my meals out very carefully. Doing this helps me have a nutritious meal, and it also stretches my memory as I prepare for cooking. I keep a detailed grocery list, so when I go to the grocery store, I am not just wandering aimlessly up and down the aisles.

Another way I try to improve my memory is through the use of Post It notes. On these notes, I write down appointments, keep track of my exercise routine, record my chores, and do laundry. I get my coffee ready the night before and put a note on it that says, “Coffee.” I have a note on my dishwasher, so I know if the dishes are clean or dirty. I often write down a schedule for the day if I have several things going on that day. I also write down events on my paper calendar which I keep on my kitchen bar, so I see it often. Additionally, I record events on my phone calendar.

I do my banking online, and I have all of my financial obligations automatically deducted from my account. I do check my account regularly to see that everything is in order, but I do not have to worry about whether or not I have forgotten to pay a bill.

I understand that forgetting people’s names is a common issue for many people, and not just those diagnosed with a mental illness. When I am introduced to someone, I sometimes immediately forget their name. I usually try to say their name over a few times in my head, committing it to memory. Honestly, it makes me feel better when someone forgets my name and must ask me again for my name.

Sometimes when I am given the opportunity to speak to a group of people about my mental health diagnosis, I can totally lose my thoughts. In that moment I feel like I am lost at sea. I have found that by jotting down a few bullet points, I can find my way and get back to my speech.

Forgetfulness is a frequent problem, but for me, it can bring chaos into my day. I am glad that over the years, I have learned ways to compensate for my cognitive issues, and they are not as disruptive as they could be otherwise. Learning strategies to cope with the symptoms of schizoaffective disorder including forgetfulness has enriched my life and adds to the normalcy I strive to reach every day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Taking on Goliath

Relating to a Person Living with Schizophrenia

Day To Day Living with Schizophrenia