Life Today on 9/11/2026
Life Today on 9/11/2026
Today marks the twenty fifth
anniversary of when America was attacked. To put it lightly, I felt weak and
sad. I needed therapy which for me was walking to the Veteran’s hospital a few
blocks from my apartment. I usually walk along the perimeter passing the
employees and other veterans.
I guess I was feeling down because I
had the best intentions, feeling the need to be patriotic and serve my country.
Severe mental illness does not care about good intentions or feeling the need
to be patriotic. However, walking around the VA grounds centers me. I was not
in the army for very long, but I did serve dealing with the clashes of
different personalities.
Some of the other veterans that I
pass during my walk wear ballcaps that say, “Air Force Veteran,” or “Vietnam
Veteran.” It gives me great joy to thank them for their service. I come to the
same conclusion that I came to after my basic training graduation. A life of
service can be bigger than you. In encouraging the other veterans, I feel encouraged
myself.
Continuing my walk, I decided to
walk the property of my apartment complex. In my opinion, the anxiety, sadness,
and questioning if I am doing my best is fuel to keep going on my walks. After
a few blocks my shoulders were starting to feel relief, and I was saturated
from the inferno of the summer. I prefer this satisfaction more than talk
therapy.
I noticed a neighbor of mine who
sometimes I help with putting her trash bag in the trash compactor. She is in a
wheelchair. I said, “Hi,” when I first saw her and it startled her. Most of the
time she iiss very independent and wants to do things herself.
But this time she asked, if I would
push her to her Uber driver outside the front gate. Or course I did.
My reason for being on the 9/11
anniversary surface and just came out of me to the hears of this thoughtful
woman who listened to this vet .
“I believe in a life of service. We
will not get paid, but we are here to serve.”
The Uber put her wheelchair in his
car, and I went back to my apartment to finish my workout.
In times of need, America prevails
with service and encouragement. Individuals who engage in this can leave
feeling satisfied. They will not be driving a corvette, but they will feel the
need to keep going. Life is Life when we serve others.
Comments
Post a Comment