My Impulsivity
My
Impulsivity
Schizophrenia
Bulletin Open, volume 5, Issue 1, January 2024, sgae014
http://doi.org/10.1093/schizobullopen/sgae014
I often wonder why I feel the need to post on social media
when my post will sometimes be considered insignificant. Is it just the instant
gratification of seeing if people agree with me? How productive is it really
when I share my story online repeatedly?
I googled my mental illness recently and learned
something new about my diagnosis of schizoaffective disorder. I learned that impulsiveness
can be a characteristic of schizophrenia. I quickly recognized impulsivity as a
problem in my social media posts. Like many, I want instant gratification from
others when I share my thoughts about mental illness online. Even reading about
impulsivity, I felt the immediate need to post about my own impulsivity.
In the past I had been warned by my editor about impulsive
posting, but I just shrugged it off, thinking I knew better. Recently I have
been thinking about posting the minute an idea pops into my head, but I need to
take the time to think clearly about every post. Will it help my reader? Is it
accurate? Do I really have to talk about my schizophrenia every day? Am I being
putting myself on display as a mentally ill person, and not as a schizophrenia
advocate, which I am proud of being? We are not all famous, but I often
incorrectly assume my last online post will give me the credibility I desire.
My validation comes from the number of “likes” I see after my posts.
As a man living with schizophrenia, I have to understand
my schizophrenia and do my best to be more productive off screen. I can use my
impulsivity to be positive in my writing. Going forward, I want to be firm with
myself about posting impulsively. I can go outside for a walk, cultivating the
thought before I post it online. Even a good night’s sleep can change whether
or not I decide to post my thoughts about my mental illness.
People
like to be heard. Three things I try to convey in my advocacy is that
schizophrenia can be treated, recovery is possible, and you are not alone. For
me I do not know how I feel about being out there for the world to see, at
least for now. I need a good night’s sleep to think about it. Maybe I will post
this thought tomorrow, or maybe not.
Comments
Post a Comment